Thursday, January 17, 2008

GS Sense

Girl Scouting to many is probably one of the the silliest thing a girl would do to her life. To some, it's cooking outdoors( why cook if yaya could?); it's just going to take adventure (and probably die??? wait, i won't!); it's just mainly spending time with other girls from different parts of the country ( for what? i don't wanna spend time with those eeewwwwwwy gurls of far lands!) and some just say; "Well, got to do some good things than that! Who cares???? not me in any way!"- these were some of the expressions of people i met who had an "in nature negative attitude" towards the girl scout movement.

I always come accross students in our university who look at me as if i had rubbed or killed somebody the night before. Their head-to-foot looks often make me wonder how their life has been and pity to them of not experiancing the things i had with girl scouting. I am not bragging the movement but I am standing to touch everyone and eventually let them realize that we are not just an organization but a family of girls- girls who take a lead; girls who plan the action, take the step higher and make great things possible. Beyond what others knew, our green color is not just a mere color- it's a color of life, representing the lives of the girls in the movement, a life in service, commitment and love.

Many ask me what did girl scouting do to me for such loyalty. You would not probably believe me if i will say everything.... i guess it always takes an experience or more for you to understand why I'm still here. "Girl scouting had me at my worst; and often had me at my best and i chose to remain." Because it is only when you know that you had make something for others that you can say that you became someone. That always makes sense.

I know after graduating High School you'll be thinking what course to take, where school to attend and who to be with, that would be a quest to conquer. You can come to me and slap me if you'll prove this wrong, but even if how far you will go, you would always remember that you are a girl Scout and " Once a Girl scout; Always a Girl scout."
-jorrie mae hernandez -

No comments: